[squeak-dev] Open Croquet will ahve issues in next version of Mac OS X

Nikolay Suslov nsuslovi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 15:05:34 UTC 2018

Hello Lawson,

Thanks for raising that question about 64 bit future of Open Croquet and
Mac OS X support.
I have tested the possibility of running Open Croquet on recent 64 bit
version of Squeak 5.2. And it seems to be working, on Windows at least. Due
to the B3DAccelerator and Croquet plugins, which are available in recent
Squeak 64 bit VMs (there are still some issues with B3DAccelerator plugin
on macOS).
Here is preloaded image for Squeak:
https://www.krestianstvo.org/sdk/croquet/Squeak5.2-18225-64bit-Croquet-Image.zip
Yes, you are right, that replication from participant running Croquet 64
bit image onto participant with 32 bit image or vice versa will not work
properly by default.
What is about supporting of 3D graphics in future versions of macOS, may be
the time is coming to think about Metal FFI bindings.
And yes, potentially this integration should work on Pharo too.

Best regards,
Nikolai