[squeak-dev] Effect Handlers

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 19:51:41 UTC 2018

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 07:20, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     I found this write up instructive and well-written:
>
> https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-features-youd-want-a-new-programming-language-to-borrow/answer/Quildreen-Motta
>
> Daan Leijen's done some interesting work in the area, to the extent of
having built a language that implements his research area (see
https://github.com/koka-lang/koka and
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/project/koka/?from=http%3A%2F%2Fresearch.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fprojects%2Fkoka).
He's implemented effects handling in C, too (
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/implementing-algebraic-effects-c/
).

Matija Pretnar wrote a decent introduction to the concept:
https://www.eff-lang.org/handlers-tutorial.pdf.

The what's-in-it-for-me of effects handling is that it supplies, in a
single tool/abstraction/structure, something that you can use to implement
asynchrony (all the async/await stuff being added to languages), exception
handling, iterators, and so on. (If this sounds a lot like continuations,
that's because they're related!)

frank