[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Collections-topa.806.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Sep 16 02:58:03 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 09:15:59PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> > I think you are being a bit too invasive here. Trying to rewrite the
> > version history after the fact is usually a bad idea (*) unless it is
> > an emergency situation in which someone has inadvertently broken the
> > update stream. That was not the case here, and Tobias had already taken
> > the appropriate action to revert the method.
>
> Deleting a version is a valid use case and one of those things we just
> have to deal with occasionally.  It's not invasive, nothing was
> rewritten, and it's a very good idea.
>
> > Aside from emergencies, I think it's better to leave the version history
> > as it is, warts and all. If this results in our tools and/or update
> > stream being too slow, then let's work on fixing that problem.
>
> With all due respect, please review our recent discussion [1] about
> this where I explained how it's about more than update stream being
> too slow...  it will save me a lot of (re)typing.

> [1] -- See thread:  "This is the Help System failure..."

Hi Chris,

Yes I do remember the discussion. This was a case where I learned the
hard way that trying to fix the version history can have unintended
consequences, and that it generally best to avoid doing this except as
a last resort. I made a mistake.

I now agree with what Levente said in that thread:

  "Removing something from the Trunk should be the last resort. That would be
  totally unnecessary in this case."

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2018-July/199578.html

And my conclusion later in the thread was this:

  Levente,

  You are right, I should have simply comitted a new version of the package.
  I was trying to "bypass" the problem, but that was a mistake because it
  caused problems for the update stream. It would have been better (as you
  said) to have simply committed a new version.

  Chris,

  It is good to keep the update stream as clean as possible as you explained,
  but overall I think that Levente is right. In most cases, attempting to
  rewrite version history causes more problems than it solves.

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2018-July/199595.html

Dave