[squeak-dev] SqueakMap problems trying to add new release of MQTT

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Sep 17 00:46:43 UTC 2018

> On 2018-09-16, at 12:51 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> One thing that would help is to understand that the server is still
> running on a very old version of Squeak (3.x), and that the
> serialization takes longer than your local image's timeout setting.
> So you can avoid the timeout error by increasing your timeout, or
> just be aware of that to know it'll eventually get saved.

We can probably do better but obviously not at this stage of a release. Handling the timeout signal more 'politely' would be a good move if there is a good way to do that. Not knowledgeable enough about sockets to have a strong opinion though.

> As for your 404, the instructions at the wiki:
>
>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6180
>
> instruct you to select "Create New Release" (step 8).  The additional
> "Edit Release" step was put in only after you had changed the
> SqueakMap client to default to the "template" script instead of the
> script of the selected release.   I have since fixed that, so maybe we
> can put the wiki instructions back.
>
> But why did you think you wanted "Edit Release" to create a new
> release?

Ah, I didn't; just a poorly written explanation I guess. I used the Create New Release first time, got the timeout and then thought that editing that new release (which had been created so far as the 'update' was concerned) might allow me to do a kinda-sort retry, Obviously, it didn't.

So, let's try a new image and see what happens - SM updates the catalogue and does *not* have any of the new stuff included. That's probably good? Squeaksource is very slow to respond right now whether from Squeak or Safari, but has finally given me the mcz to load; loads ok. Create new release, fill in everything, save... completes without complaint. Update SM catalogue, includes new version. Excellent... except there's nothing on map.squeak.org so maybe something has messed up the image at squeakmap.

tim
Ignoranus (n): A person who's both stupid and an asshole.