[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Tue Apr 2 22:42:38 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,

I wonder how difficult it would be to make a menu tester which sends all
messages on all standard menus to test for MNU & related, and make it
part of release prep — if such a thing does not already exist.

I ask because there are two items on the Do menu which would MNU if a
newcomer (or anyone, for that matter) tried them in 5.2:

Utilities class>>#grabScreenAndSaveOnDisk
Utilities class>>#reconstructTextWindowsFromFileNamed:

I submitted a partial fix for the first item last year but never got to
the next step of the fix. :(

Regarding Metacello and GitInfrastructure: whether these have a place on
the Do menu or not, I find them useful for cross-dialect compatibility,
and for using world-interoperable systems for source control — probably
two domains outside of the scope of Installer or SqueakMap.  I also like
the added exposure Smalltalk gets from having projects on GitHub.
(GitHub also offers semi-free hosting, versus e.g. WebDAV.  But I
digress.)

Best,
Tim