[squeak-dev] Lessons learned from (Re: Faster fibonacci)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Apr 30 07:07:24 UTC 2019

Hi Tim,

a "GUI" that would represent a "headless" Squeak (instead of Morphic) could (or should?) also support a main loop with deferred messages. See SqueakShell. :-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 30.04.2019 00:15:05 schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:
Hi marcel -

> On 2019-04-28, at 11:40 PM, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> command-line scripts are executed *after* all other start-up calls were made using a deferred UI message. There is no need to fiddle around with the order in the start-up list. See:
>
> SmalltalkImage >> #processStartUpList:
> AutoStart class >> #startUp: (last line)
> ProjectLauncher >> #startUp
> ProjectLauncher >> #startUpAfterLogin

I see that; but then we have to work out why the stdin/out/err filehandles need (re)initialising. FileStream class>>startUp: (true) is supposed to do it as part of the normal startup sequence but I had to add it at the beginning of my doit-file. Not to mention why does it seem to not work at all on Windows? And also, there is still the point that things are not in the requested/required order in the StartUp list.

As an extra excitement, how shall we allow for having startup files that want to avoid the UI starting up - say to support the idea of using Squeak for quick jobs as part of scripting? I'm not at all sure what a good answer would be here, it seems at first thought that we'd need either have two ways to specify the files in the commandline (say, -earlyfilein & -uifilein, which are both horrible and should not be used!) or to have some tags in the files to say where sections get evaluated - perhaps [preUI] & [postUI].

tim
Useful random insult:- Fell out of the family tree.