[squeak-dev] swiki source suited to recent Squeaks

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Aug 6 04:28:47 UTC 2019

OK, so allowing metacello to do its thing loaded up a boatload of stuff including FFI (wtf?) that really isn't going to be of any use for this problem, but whatever.

(And, as an aside, does anyone else get a bit irritated by the plethora of ways stuff gets loaded? So far in my recent quest I have had to use metacello #configuration:/#load, #baseline:/#repository/#load, install #project:/#addPackage:/#install, installer #merge:/MaInstaller #merge:, SqueakMap and plain MC loading. Wheee!)

But still no XMLString. The metacello configurations all seem to use 'Xtreams-Parsing-Martin Kobetic.2' in the only reference to any package with a name including 'pars'. The problem with googling for 'XMLString' is the commonality of the dratted word. Once one finds the right key it always seems so obvious... hindsight being so very clear.

I finally found a version of 'monty's xml-parser' on squeakmap which
a) took ages to install
b) overwrites an XML-Parser category we already have in Squeak 5.2, so who knows what gets mixed up
c) does actually, finally, include a class named XMLString. I wonder if it will be friendly?
d) adds *11* new entries to Undeclared! Good grief.

What a mess we've let ourselves get into.

tim
Any nitwit can understand computers.  Many do.