[squeak-dev] SqueakSource mail/smtp setup

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Dec 2 02:58:14 UTC 2019

An oddity spotted and possibly a bug at some level - when connecting to an SMTP server we use #ensureConnection, which uses #login, which sends #initiateSession. But the SMTPClient class>>openOnHost:port: over-rides the ProtocolClient class>>openOnHost:port: and adds another #initiateSession.

I'm pretty sure that SMTPClient class>>openOnHost:port:  can simply be removed but it's late on a sunday and reading RFCs has mangled too many braincells. I guess that sending the SMTP server 'EHLO' twice won't cause too many explosions in data centres but it may be a bit rude and certainly wastes network traffic. Does anyone have a strong attachment to double-initialising the connection?

I think it would also be useful to add a utility mail sending method that takes a user name and password for those servers wanting them.

Lastly, the EHLO command wants that awkward local host name, just like SqueakSource does. Levente's suggestion of fudging it to 127.0.0.1 for smtp seems to work ok but it probably isn't bullet-proof. We sure could do with a decently reliable way to get a suitable value.

tim
Strange OpCodes: MC: Melt down Core