[squeak-dev] Loading Seaside: adding extensions

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Dec 9 23:23:00 UTC 2019

> On 2019-12-09, at 12:47 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>

> Metacello new
> 	configuration: 'Seaside3';
> 	smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'MetacelloConfigurations';
> 	load: #('OneClick' 'Security' 'Filesystem' 'Email' 'RSS' 'REST').

Ok, that's interesting. Another way to load Seaside and using a different repository - is that kept synched with the github stuff or is it a separate version? This can get somewhat confusing.

It loaded a pile of code including what looks like most of the refactoring browser system. Were you expecting that?

> First, I'd still suggest to use the Configuration, the Baseline settles and might be usable but I have only tried the Configuration.
>
> Then, using ConfigurationOf or BaselineOf classes directly might not result in the desired effect.
> Using the Metacello class api directly should be safe.
>
> I think the Metacello class itself is best to start looking around.

OK, but we collectively have made a real mess of this installing stuff. Baselines, Configurations, Github, squeaksource, smalltalkhub, squeakmap, on and on. Surely the ideal is a nice easy entry on SqueakMap (which we do have for basic Seaside) and then for systems like Seaside a nice easy to use UI and API to load extras.

And I guess I should actually make sure to ask about this on the specific seaside list too, just to be sure.

tim
when people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other