[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-mt.1287.mcz

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Sun Dec 15 12:32:21 UTC 2019

K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> schrieb am So., 15. Dez. 2019, 12:15:

> It is about time we contained traditional modifiers like CAPSLOCK/SHIFT
> and CTRL within input plugins. Let plugins use these modifiers to map
> key code 16r40..5f<->16r60..7f and 16r40..16r5f->16r00..16r2f.
>
> Only ALT (CMD on Mac) modifier needs to be passed to the image and
> handled its input handlers. Mouse buttons should be checked only with
> ALT/CMD and not low level modifiers.

Did I get that wrong or are you really suggesting to make Ctrl unavailable
as a modifier inside of Squeak?

Many "normal" applications map Ctrl combinations. Most do so before they
begin to map Alt. At least on Windows and Linux. Ctrl to them is what Cmd
is to Mac, that's how I observed it.

I wish that both modifiers are available for the Squeak IDE and
applications. That they are blurred as they are now and can't be reliably
used together is a long-standing bug in my opinion. It severely limits the
space of reliably-available shortcut key combinations.