[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-mt.1287.mcz

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 15:50:18 UTC 2019

On 16/12/19 8:24 PM, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> The representation of such user-input events is not necessarily specific
> to Morphic, only that #keyStroke: interface is. In the long term, it
> would be nice to move "UserInputEvent" etc. out of Morphic into its own
> base package. This is a matter of finding a consistent, object-oriented
> representation for user-input events. :-)

Right. key is a physical button while keycode is what is generated by
keyboard driver. keycode is a low-level numeric code. Morphic should
only deal with objects like character or selector.

> it appears here, CTRL does not only modify a key (character) but
> actually *modifies* a key (character). :-D Then, again, SHIFT does this,
> too. Hmmm...

I had to read that a couple of times to understand it ;-). CTRL modifies
a keycode not a character. It was introduced to accommodate the
limitations of a physical keyboard. This is why soft keyboards (like the
ones on smartphones) don't need one.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_key
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_key

Regards .. Subbu