[squeak-dev] Incorrect keyboard mapping with Ctrl key in latest Smalltalk VM release (Windows 1903 64bit, squeak.cog.spur)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Dec 16 18:03:08 UTC 2019

Dave (pretty sure it was Dave) has done this for *nix with a simple script that uses the image format checking code to decide. Probably a simpler approach than breaking up the VM.

I did actually suggest much the same idea - a core vm with loadable interpreter/translator/gc versions/etc back in 1989 in conversations with Peter Deutsch & Allan Schiffman at OOPSLA.

> On 2019-12-15, at 10:32 PM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 16/12/19 3:44 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> +1.  But that's a fair amount of work ;-)  These flags are a precious resource.  What I was suggesting below was that the legacy code, protected by ifdef's, was enabled, and stayed there until some major release, at which time it could be disabled.  I agree with you that disabling it by default is wrong.
>> IOn general with the VM one wants to maintain backward compatibility until a major release arrives that makes it impossible to for the current VM to support some set of older versions.  For example, the Spur VMs we use now cannot run V3 images.  So when Spur VMs were introduced any backward compatibility for pre-Spur images could be jettisoned from the Spur VMs.
>
> A third option is to separate image loading from interpreter. The top-level executable will be the image loader. It will load and interpret the header, determine the variant and then spawn a variant-specific interpreter with appropriate arguments to interpret the image. So we just ship one loader (say squeakvm) and one or more interpreters (squeak-trunk, squeak-cog, squeak-spur32, squeak-spur64 etc).
>
> Regards .. Subbu

tim
Oxymorons: Business ethics