[squeak-dev] Overriding method categories (was: Possible buggy senders of Class >> #category?)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Dec 17 19:54:20 UTC 2019

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 2:44 PM Thiede, Christoph <
Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> I also heard this the first time now. Many thanks for the tip!
>

> Does this exactly depend on the "override" suffix? So if I overrode dozens
> of methods, I could not distribute them into special categories?

It's independent - if the category starts with '*package-name' it is
considered part of the package, and if it ends with '-override' it is an
override.

So *pkg-name-foo-bar-override is fine.

That being said, this is only considered a band-aid to patch packages you
do not want to change. That's why we don't have any examples of this in the
base system, and proper external packages also should not use it.

It's more intended for "I want to locally modify this method, but that
shouldn't make the package dirty" or "My package has to do this one weird
hack and there is no way to refactor the original package" scenarios.

- Bert -