[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-mt.1287.mcz

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Wed Dec 18 22:00:29 UTC 2019

tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> schrieb am Mi., 18. Dez. 2019, 20:28:

> > On 2019-12-18, at 2:04 AM, Jakob Reschke <forums.jakob at resfarm.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > The Ctrl key is not an anachronism. Its original function, zeroing the
> upper two bits of the pressed ASCII character, is.
>
> I never knew that but it makes sense.

I only learned it from the Wikipedia article that Subbu linked to :-)

An issue we have to remember is that not all systems will actually send a
> keypress for 'only' a control (or alt, or command etc) key

True. And some systems don't even have a Ctrl key. Obviously you cannot
target every platform if you make this key mapping choice.

But if it does come from the outside (key up, key down), Squeak should
reveal it. Analogy: Not every system supports a Joystick, but if it does I
want to be able to use it in Squeak. :-)