[squeak-dev] Preference settings for 5.3 release

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Sun Dec 22 14:26:01 UTC 2019

Hi all.

Take a look at ReleaseBuilder class >> setPreferences

Those will be used for the release at the moment. We do not track "default value" for pragma preferences at the moment.

Best,
Marcel
Am 21.12.2019 00:19:11 schrieb Tobias Pape <das.linux at gmx.de>:

> On 20.12.2019, at 23:18, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> A preference elimination initiative would be *very* welcome, but
> it is something that we should start working on immediately after
> the 5.3 release.
>
> Preferences are like other bad habits: easy to get into, and
> hard to eliminate. So let's all make a New Year's resolution to
> lose weight, exercise more, eat healthier food, and get rid of
> unnecessary preferences in Squeak.
>
> For the current release, I think that we should limit discussion
> to specific default preference settings that we might want to
> change for the upcoming release.
>
> Dave

I really like the distinction in Firefox between "normal preferences" and "about:config"

I think we should have that dichotomy, too. Something on the surface, something under the hood (eg, like OSXs 'defaults' facility)

Best regards
-Tobias