[squeak-dev] Question | In text fields, do you need EXTRA duplication of ctrl and cmd/alt?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Dec 24 10:48:30 UTC 2019

Hi all!

We have the preference "duplicate (all) CTRL and ALT keys", which makes CTRL-key and ALT/CMD-key combinations identical across all kinds of applications. So, that preference will also work in text fields by default. Workspace, debugger, browse, everywhere.

HOWEVER, there is EXTRA duplication effort in TextEditor's (shifted)-command keyboard shortcut list. There are duplicate entries. See the bottom of TextEditor class >> #initializeShiftCmdKeyShortcuts:

1 to: cmds size by: 2 do: [ :i |
cmdMap at: ((cmds at: i) asciiValue + 1) put: (cmds at: i + 1). "plain keys"
cmdMap at: ((cmds at: i) asciiValue - 32 + 1) put: (cmds at: i + 1). "shifted keys"
cmdMap at: ((cmds at: i) asciiValue - 96 + 1) put: (cmds at: i + 1). "ctrl keys"
].

Do you need that extra duplication? So, do you want to DISABLE that preference BUT STILL be able to use, for example CTRL+D to trigger a DO-IT in text fields?

I would say: NO. If I disable the key-duplication PREFERENCE, I want CTRL+H to trigger BACKSPACE and CTRL+D to move the cursor to the end of the line. That's just how control keys work. It would also simplify the code base.

Your call. :-)

Happy holidays,
Marcel