[squeak-dev] autoEnclose preference

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 15:12:12 UTC 2019

Hi All,

    some people really like auto enclose and dine people hate it.  Similarly some people like update menu selection on mouse click and others hate it. We are unlikely to find a compromise, or be able to vote and find a substantial majority one way or the other.  It is also true that not having the preference the way one wants us extremely irritating for each side.  The experience is of a system that is fighting you at every turn and is hugely frustrating.

So this group of preferences is the kind of thing that should be offered to the user as a configuration choice at setup.  Marcel abd the Potsdam folks did a brilliant job writing the initial preference configuration and it’s a pleasure to use.  I suggest, and ask for effort in implementing, that in this release one of the configuration options is a group preference for editing & selection which offers either the “old crusty“ choices of no automatic anything in editing and mouse selection (please Santa, I want an “I am an old crusty tee shirt for Xmas), and the young skywalker use-the-force alternatives.  We still need to make an exhaustive list beyond auto enclose and update menu selection, but please can we offer this as a choice to users and emphatically not choose a default one way or the other?  We should have sufficient respect for each other’s muscle memory to realise this is one example where a default simply isn’t god enough.