[squeak-dev] Question | In text fields, do you need EXTRA duplication of ctrl and cmd/alt?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 21:41:25 UTC 2019

Hi,

> I use them SO often, especially Control+9, and Control+[ (for { }
> enclosures).
>
> Ctrl+[1-9] are reserverd for our world-main docking bar, right? And Ctrl+0
> is the Search Field.

Well, Ctrl+[1-8, 0] are.  Since there is no ninth menu there, Ctrl+9 does
currently nothing on the DockingBar.  But your point is well-taken, what if
we DID want to add a ninth menu.  Hmm...

Jakob wrote:

I don't understand. Isn't this ctrl alt duplication independent from the
recently debated ctrl+9 (without shift) mapping? So shouldn't one of ctrl+9
or alt+9 work anyway?

I'm suddenly realizing I don't remember which keys these preferences
actually affect.  Unfortunately the description just says, "some
alt-keys".   Marcel's question was:

> So, do you want to DISABLE that preference BUT STILL be able to use, for
example CTRL+D to trigger a DO-IT in text fields?

With it disabled, Ctrl+D is "Debug It", (e.g., "super" Do-It), not the
regular "Do It", and the emphasis on the "BUT STILL" in the question made
me think certain Control keys might go away.  I do run with it disabled,
but various Control keys I use work.  I sense I'm very confused, sorry.

Bottom line:  If existing Control keys will be preserved even when this
preference is disabled, even after removing the duplication Marcel
identified, then I've no issues with it.  Otherwise, I'd like to know what
real world impacts users like me would face -- e.g., which keys affected?

Thanks for your patience with me.  :/

 - Chris