[squeak-dev] Help pages need your help

John-Reed Maffeo jrmaffeo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 22:52:06 UTC 2019

I don't remember when and never knew why the "Swap Mouse Buttons"
preference was enabled by default, but that broke the documentation along
with messing with command and control buttons, changes which were driven to
adhere to various OS developer idiosyncrasies.  Tim's reference to"Select,
Menu, Extend" on RISC OS seems to echo the original definitions of buttons
for the three button mouse which was used with Smalltalk and I would be
fine with using them in the wiki documentation.

However, the reality is that any term for any button, key, hand gesture,
etc. is arbitrary and subject to change by the underlying OS and/or
application setting and the best Squeak can aspire to is precise
standardization of the words used in the code and documentation. Since we
have so much invested with RYB in code and documentation, I suggest we stay
with it.

Select, Menu, Extend

-jrm

--