[squeak-dev] dynamic FileDialog pop-ups considered harmful

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 28 03:12:42 UTC 2019

When you are saving something outside of the image, you have to save
"something" and and you have to put it "someplace".  It seems
perfectly reasonable to me to have a dialog that supports this
concept, regardless of the specific details of the host runtime
environment (operating system, web browser, whatever).

Futhermore, the general notion of saving stuff in a hierarchical
organization makes sense. It is a simple and useful strategy that maps
easily to familiar OS file systems. And as a somewhat disorganized
person by nature, I can assure you that a policy of saving too much
stuff all in the same place is not a useful simplification ;-)

Dave