[squeak-dev] The Trunk: SUnitGUI-cmm.78.mcz

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Sun Dec 29 14:06:11 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,

Am So., 29. Dez. 2019 um 08:17 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com
>:

> Even though we know why, to the casual observer, it appears to be a "bug"
> and, from the sense that SUnit browser WAS developed as a "global"
> singleton browser, it is.

Why do you think it was meant to be a singleton browser? I never thought of
it that way. Casual observers who know about this preference and remember
it when something opens or not might not be so casual after all -- but that
aside, whether they have problems with the former behavior or not entirely
depends on this singleton expectation.

> > This commit makes it impossible to have multiple TestRunners opened
> side by side. For me, this is clearly a drawback.  Why force unnecessary
> singletons?
>
> Heh, nothing is forced.  You can use the green halo or turn off the
> preference.  Do you use the preference?  I thought I was the only one.  :)

I have it turned on since your last advocacy for it a few months ago.

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 8:22 AM Jakob Reschke <forums.jakob at resfarm.de>
> wrote:
>

>> Even if it were not possible to open the tool with a preselection, you
>> will still assemble a test suite through manual selection.
>>

> Reuse Windows depends on the pre-selection, but if a certain model
> *can't*, the idea is that Reuse Windows should at least do *something* for
> this browser..

I suppose this is up to interpretation and discussion. If I open a system
browser via the world menu, I always get a new one without selection, and
it feels right to me. Why should it be different with the test runner which
also opens without selection? If I do a search for a specific class and
already have a browser for it, it gives me the existing system browser,
alright, I might have forgotten it. Since I cannot open the test runner on
a specific class via the GUI (or can I?) my interpretation of the expected
behavior is the opposite of yours: that I should always get a new browser.
Does not feel like a bug to me.

> Green halo has many uses...  :)

Yes it does, but I always feel somehow cheating or working around
something, being on a meta level, when I have to use it on tools. ;-)

Please revert, and in my opinion this should have gone through the inbox
first.

Kind regards,
Jakob