[squeak-dev] dynamic FileDialog pop-ups considered harmful

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 15:27:27 UTC 2019

On 28/12/19 1:54 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:
> As to specifics of the usability of the saveas dialogue, that's down
> to 'having' to use the directory tree widget etc. I suspect we could
> do something much better if we wanted to.

Rather than tie ourselves into Filesystem dialog UIs and get sucked into
debates on native/squeak looks, it would be useful to have proxy objects
around directories and files/symlinks/devices. Suppose we have a
DirectoryProxyMorph[*] reflecting the contents of a host directory, we
can drop our morphs, workspaces etc. into it. We can also drag out
projects/morphs/files into the Squeak World for viewing or editing. This
would be consistent with the overall object model in Squeak.

Even with native file navigators, I tend to bookmark for frequently used
directories and drag from or drop into these bookmarks rather than
navigate the noodle menus ;-). To avoid too many open windows, we could
have a shortcut to re-use the same window while drilling down/up.

[*] most host OSes support FS event notifications for
additions/deletions, so this would be like a proxy rather than a passive
holder.

Regards .. Subbu