[squeak-dev] The Inbox: PreferenceBrowser-tpr.98.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Dec 29 18:39:31 UTC 2019

> On 2019-12-29, at 6:49 AM, Jakob Reschke <forums.jakob at resfarm.de> wrote:
>
> Am Fr., 27. Dez. 2019 um 20:47 Uhr schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:
>
> I do quite like the suggestion to store individual preferences via monticello instead of explicitly in a file. I think the actual preferences mechanism might need some (long over due) changes to work well that way.
>
> If only Monticello could track things other than code..

Well I'm sure there must be at least a dozen ways to work with that.
 - noting that many preferences are already code, simply make the preferences tool change that code and have a package for them. I think there are also pragma based preferences I've seen somewhere?
 - passivate the dictionary of current preference values, create a suitable method to evaluate it and save in a package
 - as above but put a literal in the preamble or postscript of an otherwise (probably) empty package
 - modify MC to track non-code stuff
ok, so maybe not a dozen.

tim
If it was easy, the hardware people would take care of it.