[squeak-dev] dynamic FileDialog pop-ups considered harmful

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Dec 30 00:19:35 UTC 2019

> On 2019-12-29, at 2:50 PM, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Le dim. 29 déc. 2019 à 23:35, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> a écrit :

>  Some OS (I'm giving you the stink-eye here, Windows 10) having very strange ideas about directory layouts and names and so forth.
>
> I hope it does not ask anymore to insert a floppy in drive A: ;)

Not even Windows does that any more.

A really, really, stupid case was actually the responsibility of RISC OS back around, ooh, 1998 or so. Because of the way RISC OS works you simply never expect to do things like 'find all root discs and give me a list'. So to implement the directory contents prim for an empty name - the escape case for 'find all root discs' back then - I had to test all known filing systems (which included CD, floppies, networks, fax, and several other virtual filing system plugins) to see if they had any content. Which in the case of the floppy and cd drives could take 5-10 seconds. Sigh.

What Windows 10 does is at least as insane though.

tim
"Bother" said Pooh as "Formating Drive C" appeared on the screen...