[squeak-dev] dynamic FileDialog pop-ups considered harmful

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Dec 30 01:52:40 UTC 2019

> On 2019-12-29, at 5:00 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Squeak's IDE should present that it understands core competencies of development, and LEAD users by not offering haphazard ways to do configuration management, e.g., "Save as...".  Ultimately it's a path to nowhere, possibly even pain, and yet exacts a significant and mandatory cost to the IDE's consistency, usability and scope.

What exactly is it that you are objecting to here? You've claimed to have a much better way to save and load preferences; what is that way? What is the actual problem with providing users with a simple and familiar way to save/load a preferences file? If it is simply that you don't think preferences should be saved to files, then please separate that from complaining about any particular technique for choosing the file. After all, if there is a totally better way we want to know.

Similarly with saving images as different names and in different places. It isn't a common thing to do, but when you do want to do it I claim it is helpful to have a UI affordance that makes it simple. Do you actually claim it is better to use a FillInTheBlank and have to remember path details to type in? Are you claiming that changing an image name should be done only in host tools? Because that will really screw up your 'flow'. Not least because of having to rename two separate files.

You haven't explained at all, in any way whatsoever, what is a problem. Gish-galloping around the place does nothing helpful.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Quo signo nata es? = What's your sign?