[squeak-dev] dynamic FileDialog pop-ups considered harmful

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Dec 30 18:46:31 UTC 2019

> On 2019-12-30, at 5:21 AM, Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> maybe it's not a rational thing. I also follow Chris "everything in one
> folder" approach. On Windows it's super portable. I just opened a 3.6
> which somehow has made it through the decades to this Win10 laptop and
> everything worked out of the box. And I assume that's true for all
> Squeak installations I have.

It probably is , just so long as the OS changes haven't broken things. Which they do sometimes; libraries get broken or removed, DLLs ... do whatever DLLs do to irritate, new restrictions on execution permissions, blah blah blah. One time long ago Apple subtly changed how memory was allocated and BOOM! VW couldn't start up. Nice.

> And I would also consider the thought "Where should this go?" an
> annoyance. I remember having lost data because I was too eager to leave
> the computer to wait for success. :-)

The key point here is that nobody has seriously proposed demanding the user use a restrictive UI for anything that is a common, nor indeed part-of-work-flow activity. And the UI in question offers more flexibility than the current (or prior, in the case of saving an image with a new name) UI without costing any effort in the context of the total UI interaction.
Adding even as much as a full second to
 - move pointer to dock
 - click on squeak menu
 - click on 'save as..'
 - open text filling in UI to allow typing of new name
 - click or CR
 - system saves image, copies changes
is nothing.

The human perceptual response to get to the typing is probably the slowest part - unless you have a huge image/changes and/or a slow disc/network drive. Adding the one-morphic-frame-cycle delay to provide a UI that can let you see if you already have an image of the 'new' name you were thinking of, if you are actually in the directory where you want the image to be, to choose new directories or even make one - if that really ruins your day? Well, feel free to propose a (preference guarded, please) alternate approach that skips it.

tim
Klingon Code Warrior:- 2) "My program has just dumped Stova Core!"