[squeak-dev] Annoying list morph selection/menu click bug

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 05:33:15 UTC 2019

> But still, I'm happier with the Squeak option disabled. Of course, now I
> have to save my modified preferences and share them to all the different
> images

It's already shared automatically, to "all the different images" in the
same dev sandbox (directory), you shouldn't need to do _anything_.

But since what you really meant is, "all of Tim's various directories,"

the correct answer is "add it to your build script."

The wrong answer is,

   - "Open a Preferences window,
   - click "Save To Disk" button
   - navigate to first desired directory, DON'T get this wrong (yeah,
right...)
   - click "OK" to accept the default name
    - Repeat from the third step, above,
          for EACH additional desired directory,
          and DON'T miss any directories" (yeah, right...)

I am using... wonder how I could do that...

Squeak's FileBrowser window  a tool *designed* to do file management.  A
few drag and drops, to do all the above.  I, myself, would still stick to
the build script, but at least FileBrowser is 10X better at file management
than the Preferences browser.  "Responsibilities," you know....

> let's see, maybe a filesaver dialog to save the file somewhere shared, and
> one to load from somewhere other than the image working directory?

So you're *guaranteed* to have to go through that popup **unnecessarily**
at LEAST once for each image, because you only need to select a file for
the Save OR the Load, not both.  So the theoretical PEAK efficiency of this
UI function is 50%, which is horrible.  Tim, please *demand* an IDE design
and experience worthy of 2020 Squeak, not Windows 95.

 - Chris