[squeak-dev] 24-bit sound -- how??

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.com
Mon Feb 4 07:47:00 UTC 2019

After several years of doing artistic work in Squeak (interactive poetry),
I'm now working on a project where I need to integrate sound. I can load a
16-bit .wav file, play it, and everything just works. When I try to do the
same thing with a 24-bit .wav file, I get a convincing example of white
noise -- not exactly what I was after ... :-) Is this a codec problem?

Details: I'm developing on Linux, have been working in Squeak 4.3 but just
now tried a vanilla 5.2 image and get the same results. (Requires the padsp
/ libpulsedsp.so wrapper trick to get sound at all.) The 16-bit sound that
works shows in the VLC codec display as:

Type: Audio
Codec: PCM S16 LE (s16l)
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 1411 kb/s

and the 24-bit sound that doesn't work shows as:

Type: Audio
Codec: PCM S24 LE (s24l)
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Bits per sample: 32

(Sounds are being exported from Audacity, and play just fine with no
"tricks" in VLC.)

I'm a total newbie to Squeak sound, so any hints would be highly
appreciated. I suppose I can live with 16-bit sound if I have to, but I'd
rather have the option of the highest resolution I can get.

-Thanks, Jim