[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Monticello-cmm.1550112371873461.mcz

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 04:22:57 UTC 2019

HI Eliot,

> > On Feb 13, 2019, at 7:13 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What are the two most-important properties we want from our
> > versionNumber?  Monotonicity and uniqueness.  The current scheme only
> > provides the former, this uses DateAndTime now utcMicroseconds to
> > provide the latter, too.  As a bonus it also happens to encode the
> > save timestamp into the VersionName, so available without having to
> > open the file.
> >
> > I admit it looks intimidating given what we're used to seeing, but
> > what of the added safety and utility?
>
> It is trumped by the illegibility.

Not as bad as it appears, since the high-order digits will be the same
between version #'s, plus, second-resolution should be sufficient, so
versions in a list would actually look like this:

    Monticello-cmm-1550203798
    Monticello-cmm-1550117398
    Monticello-cmm-1550030998

Whilst still retaining all of the utility.  Maybe even a setting in
the tools could hide the high-order digits in the UI if we wanted...
We're already into 4 digits in our version #'s anyway so....

> When was the discussion around this change?

You're participating in it now.   :)

There was another change to earlier today that you may be interested
in asking that question about too, since it changed 19-year old
SequenceableCollection>>#= with a one-day old replacement and actually
went into trunk.  This one is in the Inbox.

> I’ve been out if things (apologies) but I find this change quite horrible.

I understand this initial gut reaction, but I hope you'll think and
sleep on it, and help think about the problem and some alternative
solutions you like better.  VersionName uniqueness is important for
the Monticello model.

Best,
  Chris