[squeak-dev] Squeak and Tonel

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Mon Feb 18 06:18:26 UTC 2019

Am Mo., 18. Feb. 2019, 01:39 hat Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu>
geschrieben:

> Is it a must to use Metacello to load code in Tonel format?
> What does Metacello add to the mix?
> Can't we just map each git commit to an mcz?
>
> Levente

Strictly speaking, Metacello is not required. But you would have to resolve
the package dependencies yourself and gather them from external
repositories, which is the main benefit of Metacello. So I understand that
Eliot wants it to work.

There is no mcz to map to. If one were to create a new kind of MCRepository
that maps commits to MCVersions, you would have 0..* MCVersions per commit
because each commit may touch multiple packages or none. Each commit
describes a particular configuration of package versions, so one could
generate an artificial MCConfiguration for each commit. Note that Squot /
the Git Browser already supports these scenarios for FileTree repositories,
albeit without using Monticello for the version control.