[squeak-dev] Squeak and Tonel

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Mon Feb 18 10:45:22 UTC 2019

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019, Jakob Reschke wrote:

> Am Mo., 18. Feb. 2019, 01:39 hat Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> geschrieben:
>
>       Is it a must to use Metacello to load code in Tonel format?
>       What does Metacello add to the mix?
>       Can't we just map each git commit to an mcz?
>
>       Levente
>

> Strictly speaking, Metacello is not required. But you would have to resolve the package dependencies yourself and gather them from external repositories, which is the main benefit of Metacello. So I
> understand that Eliot wants it to work.
>
> There is no mcz to map to. If one were to create a new kind of MCRepository that maps commits to MCVersions, you would have 0..* MCVersions per commit because each commit may touch multiple packages
> or none. Each commit describes a particular configuration of package versions, so one could generate an artificial MCConfiguration for each commit. Note that Squot / the Git Browser already supports
> these scenarios for FileTree repositories, albeit without using Monticello for the version control.

Looking at the repository in question[1], there seem to be multiple
packages stored in it[2]: BaselineOfScorch, Scorching, ScorchingDev,
ScorchingTests, ScorchingVMTests. My impression is that these could be
converted to individual mczs for each commit, which would mean that the
same code would be available as MC packages. Then you could load the code
with MC/Metacello/whatever from the .mczs.

Am I missing something?

Levente

[1] https://github.com/clementbera/Scorch
[2] https://github.com/clementbera/Scorch/tree/master/repository