[squeak-dev] [ANN] UziScript first pre-release!

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jan 26 04:53:50 UTC 2019

OK, some quick comments after actually downloading and quickly taking a look on my iMac -

It won't "just run" on Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra - it doesn't even offer to have me temporarily side-step the security settings, which is something I haven't seen before.

So I downloaded the plain 5.2 64bit all-in-one to get a Mac 64bit VM (which by the way whines about not being able to write to the changes file on startup because of a permissions problem; this before it even gets to Marcel's nice 'Welcome to Squeak ' initial config tool) to get a Mac 64bit VM .

Opening the Uzi package to drill down to the actual image and dropping the image on the fresh 64bit all-in-one opened the Uzi image ok.

First question - where are the comments, folks? I understand not yet having done a round of adding comments all over the place but even the class examples have no helpful comments to offer good places to start trying things. Could save a good bit of time if you add some. Pretty please.

Next - why a 64 bit image? Right now that means no Raspberry Pi; yes, we're working on it but it's going to be a while. Is there some important reason, or is it just that this is what you've been working on? A lot of people use Pi with Arduino/ESP8266 and this could be a big user base for you.

Third - why 'uzi' ? That has some not so pleasant connotations.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Magister Mundi sum! = I am the Master of the Universe!