[squeak-dev] Server timeouts and 504 return codes

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Wed Jan 30 22:46:16 UTC 2019

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Leaving aside the arguments that seem to have sprung up, I'd appreciate thoughts on -
> a) would it be better for me to rescind the socket retires I added a couple of weeks ago?

Based on Chris's explanation about the 504 responses (data serialization),
I don't think those would affect the image in any way, since it is not
responding during the operation.
I think it would be worth to add delays. I usually use exponential
backoff with an upper limit (e.g. 10 seconds).

> b) are there any error cases it *is* worth catching and what handling would be beneficial?

Maybe. 4xx reponses normally mean the client is doing something wrong. 5xx
reponses mean there's something wrong with the server.

Levente