[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Collections-pre.838.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Jul 2 06:58:10 UTC 2019

...and if you avoid looking at the implementation of #do: and #associationsDo:? The term "associations" leaks some internal representation detail. :-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 01.07.2019 21:29:20 schrieb Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com>:

Hi, there.

>From the client's perspective, isn't #do: already an abstraction level higher than #assocationsDo:?

Not when one accounts for the receiver.

    order do: [ ... ]

has to make assumptions about the internal representation, and it duplicates the responsibility for enumerating the receiver just to do some broader function (printing elements), even though the receiver already has a method to do that enumeration.

   self associationsDo: [ ... ]

Best,
  Chris

It is so on the implementation side, too - at least in Collection. Swapped in Dictionary and OrderedDictionary, though.

Collection >> associationsDo: aBlock
"Evaluate aBlock for each of the receiver's elements (key/value
associations).  If any non-association is within, the error is not caught now,
but later, when a key or value message is sent to it."

self do: aBlock

Dictionary >> associationsDo: aBlock
"Evaluate aBlock for each of the receiver's elements (key/value
associations)."

tally = 0 ifTrue: [ ^self].
1 to: array size do: [ :index |
(array at: index) ifNotNil: [ :element |
aBlock value: element ] ]

OrderedDictionary >> associationsDo: aBlock
"Iterate over the order instead of the internal array."

order from: 1 to: tally do: aBlock

Best,
Marcel