[squeak-dev] How to fix broken images?

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Mon Jul 15 11:45:49 UTC 2019

Hi Philip,

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019, Philip Bernhart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> certainly people have also had the experience of making a flawed change
> to an image which caused then to pop up endlessly debuggers and then
> for some reason that image was saved.
>
> Currently I don't have this situation, but how could someone in theory
> fix that?

It highly depends on the situation. If you're lucky, you can pass a
startup script to the vm with 'Utilities closeAllDebuggers' in it and get
rid of all the debuggers upon start.
If that doesn't help, but you know why the debuggers are appearing, e.g.
you modified a core method and now it has a bug, you can also try reverting
that change from the startup script.

> Recovering from changesets is one solution. But what if the changeset
> was lost? And the only useable state would be in that image?

Normally you recover from the .changes file. I have never seen the changes
file getting lost. Perhaps a disk-is-full-situation could cause that.

> Then even going one step further and lets say, that the image write
> failed slightly for some reason, due a power outage for example.
>
> Are there tools to load and inspect an image?

The simulator in VMMaker can load images. I haven't tried it lately, but
I'm sure you can inspect objects of the loaded image.

Levente