[squeak-dev] LargeInteger parsing (?) broken between 5.2b and update 18615

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jul 22 01:27:12 UTC 2019

After patiently stepping through pretty much the entire compilation of the method it actually begins to look as if it is a problem with the recent acept-edit stuff that might be causing this. Which really is a bit puzzling.

Once the compile had apparently completed ok (I really thought for a few moments that it might be an interaction of large integer hashing and hashed collections growing, but it worked ok) I let the debugger proceed and got a notifier somewhere relating to acceptText... something, before a gazillion dNU notifiers splatted all across the display. The system was sorta-kinda running, very, very slowly but I did eventually manage to get the exit dialogue and quit cleanly. Which is very different to the prior attempts.

After that, another attempt where I uncommented the last intger and chopped it down to a SmallInt value just worked - so clearly the largeinteger had something to do with things... but the acceptText stuff ... no problem this time. Restore the last number to a large int and ... lockup.

> On 2019-07-21, at 4:10 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2019, tim Rowledge wrote:
>

>>> On 2019-07-20, at 10:29 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
>>> Also, you have to click on Through to be able to debug #method:context:. Over will just execute that block without the debugger entering it.
>>
>> D'oh. Serves me right for committing Debugging Before Caffeination. Now I get down to Parser>>method:context: and hit the problem in the 'self statements:#() innerBlock: doit' line. Quit, restart, redo...
>>
>>> Btw, I remember running into an error related to LargeInteger parsing, but a updating my image fixed it. What's the version of Kernel in your image?
>>
>> 1246 in my current-working image but 1240 in the vanilla update #18615 image I also tested.
>>
>> I'll dig deeper as time permits but the one really clear problem here is that there is no response to cmd-., a horrible thing that we must always fight to prevent. I know it can happen when the VM is having a hard time trying to write out a debug stack trace etc but I don't think I've ever known that to exceed several minutes, so my guess is this is not one of those cases.
>
> Did you try to send SIGUSR1 to the vm's process?

Not previously; since I normally d-click on the image to start it I typically don't think of that. Just tried it this time though and after using pgrep to find the pid, did kill pid -10 - which is the wrong way round, duh, and it killed it anyway. Sigh.

So now I'm even more puzzled. It's the largeint, but it isn't, but the acceptText.. blew up but it doesn't...

Such fun!

tim
Strange OpCodes: DUL: Delete Utility Library