[squeak-dev] LargeInteger parsing (?) broken between 5.2b and update 18615

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jul 22 22:16:02 UTC 2019

OK, so after fun doing a binary split, I can now assert that loading Kernel-eem.1198.mcz is what breaks the compilation of that particular method. That's the change where Eliot altered the hashing to make things be the same between 32 & 64 bit systems. On a 32bit Pi we clearly get a value beyond SmallInteger range with the new version of LPI>>hash. Reverting the change to LPI>>hash makes it possible to compile the problematic method.

I'm actually having a bit of a hard time working out how it can cause a complete lock up of the image though. Is it some issue with a 32bit VM not liking non-SmallInt hash values? Maybe some related prim that only accepts machine/vm word sized values?

tim
Justify my text?  I'm sorry but it has no excuse.