[squeak-dev] Dorados (was: Efficient Implementation of theSmalltalk-80 System: what was the hardware?)

Frank Lesser frank-lesser at lesser-software.com
Fri Jul 26 20:02:22 UTC 2019

Real Benchmarks are quite difficult to do & require tools like Intels VTune
( for intel proc. of course )
TinyBenchmarks focuses on 2 things - testing speed of send of a single
message ( benchFib ) & measuring bytecodes / sec using calculation of a
"bytecode heavy benchmark ( IMO it was counting number of primes )
the 26 benchFib takes ~ 5000 us with Pharo 8 on my laptop same pure C on
msvc 2019 optimized code 32 bit ( taking argument in a register instead of
getting it from stack takes ~1500 us )

same C code is 2 times slower compiled in x64 - I can post the C code if
anyone is interested
Today Smalltalk & other dynamic langs reaches pritty close C speed.
I am in business optimizing my VM since decades & JITed languages have the
big advantage that they can measure out the underlying hardware & emitting
quite different code .

different Assembler.
Frank