[squeak-dev] Longterm stability of image formats

Philip Bernhart philip.bernhart at posteo.de
Sun Jul 28 21:43:39 UTC 2019

Hi,

I just wondered of how stable the current image format is
supposed to be. When for example I would write now a project
for say squeak5.2 and then that project gets abandoned for
some reason but still runs in production, would a squeak VM
in 10 years still be able to open it?

As far as I know these changed over the years because
of:

1. Switches from architecture 16 bit -> 32 bit -> 64 bit

2. Switches in VM technology: Cog, Spur, Siesta(?), etc.

Is it even naive to believe to be able to open an old
image file in the newest VM?

Thanks for your time,
Philip