[squeak-dev] [Discussion] Creating message sends via anObject >>> #selector ?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Jun 12 13:37:49 UTC 2019

Correction: This would add #>>> to Object, not MessageSend.

Best,
Marcel
Am 12.06.2019 15:31:12 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:
Hi, there.

One of our students was curious about whether the following expression could be somehow improved:

someObjects collect: [:each | self convert: each].

I suppose that the main goal was to remove the brackets. Similar to the existing symbol shortcut:

someObjects collect: #message.

Looking at all implementors of #value:, #cull: and alike, I suppose that a more convenient creation of a MessageSend could tackle this case directly:

someObjects collect: self >>> #convert:.

This feels strange. :-) Very strange. But maybe it's just me. I don't see the traditional [:each | ...] version as neither difficult to read nor write.

What do you think about adding the #>>> message to MessageSend for more compact instantiation? Do you see other scenarios of interest? Would it be just superfluous? Producing less readable code?

Best,
Marcel

P.S.: #>>> would be close to #>>, which is implemented on Behavior to access method objects.