[squeak-dev] ProgressBar bounces from screen centre to cursor pos, dialogues get hidden at the centre

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jun 20 21:01:08 UTC 2019

> On 2019-06-20, at 10:40 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When loading a big package (Seaside in this case) it's very obvious that something is a bit inconsistent wrt the progress bar. Most of the time it sits at the centre of the screen but every now and then it leaps (is it a bird? is it a plane? No, it's superbouncyprogressbarman!) to the cursor position - and then back. All a bit travel-sickness inducing really. Clearly there's no very good reason for a UI element to do this dance of flickeriness.
>
> I think a change I made years ago is responsible for that mess.  We
> should definitely fix it some way some how...

Wild guess - make it ignore new positions coming via the route that tries to open a progressbar when one is already open. It ought to be possible to manually drag it around though.

>> [snip] I suppose one option would be to make popup dialogues add to the progressbar if it is open - in the same way that we get a stack of progress bars, add the inner morphs of a dialogue?  I really don't know a solid answer for this, but it certainly isn't a good thing to have a 'do you want to do this important thing or not?' dialogue hidden behind a progress bar that is waiting for the user to answer!
>>
> That's an interesting idea.  It's unconventional but I like unconventional...
>
> Another idea would be to put the progress bar into
> TheWorldMainDockingBar.  In a distinctive green, it should be easily
> noticeable to first-time users.   It could be either centered within
> the bar, or overlay it for the duration of progress-monitoring

The problem with sticking progress bar there is that we have the stacking of bars as sub-loads start. I don't think that would fit too cleanly into the dock. At least, not the way we do it now; perhaps one could collapse the prior bar into a single char sized icon and add the new bar, then obviously, reverse that as bars finish and return up the stack.

tim
Two wrongs are only the beginning.