[squeak-dev] Raspberry Pi 4

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Tue Jun 25 12:45:06 UTC 2019

Tim wrote:

>Did anybody not see this?
>https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
>
>It's made a bit of a splash today. I think it will make a pretty neat Squeak machine, especially for any sort of MC
>server setup etc. I

Smalltalk on the PI is cool. I run Pharo on Pi since a few years and it has a decent performance and is stable
for serving stuff. See my medium article  [1] and video [2] from 2015.
I also was also able to run the old Squeak Comanche Wiki on it and use it for personal stuff.

For Pharo the current status on PI is described here:  http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-dev_lists.pharo.org/2019-June/275553.html

>Now to find someone to fund the work to do the 64bit ARM Cog.

Yes - an 64bit ARM Cog for OpenSmalltalk VM would be really great. It could also help pushing Smalltalk IoT platforms like
http://www.pharoiot.org

Maybe a project on a crowdfunding plattform could help and show if there is enough interest...

Thx
T.

[1] https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/pharo-pi-9eef257b6a21
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfxFqQIuawg