[squeak-dev] visibility of our site

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Sun May 12 13:13:08 UTC 2019

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 12:32 AM Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 2019, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
> > I find our https://squeak.org squeak site very good!
> >
> > But for loading a 5.2 image, I just googled "squeak smalltalk download", and were offered the possibility to download 3.8, 3.7 or all sorts of outdated stuff, but I didn't see our site anywhere near the top answers...
> >
> > Isn't there something we can do to improve that?
>
> It google seems to have simply "deindexed" the site. Other search
> engines find the content just fine, but google won't find anything from
> the squeak.org domain even if you specify site:squeak.org. Subdomains are
> still indexed by google.

I didn't notice this, but it seems you are right and Google has
removed squeak.org from their index.

> Assuming no one has registered the site on google's search console[1], a
> trusted person could try to add the site as their own (requires
> coordination with the web/box admins team) and see if it can be added to
> the index again.

I have access to a Google search console for squeak.org, but I don't
fully understand the problem yet. I've updated our sitemap to point to
our site via HTTPS, maybe that fixes it. I will keep you posted.

Fabio