[squeak-dev] Attempting to use git Browser to view https://github.com/LabWare/MQTT-broker

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon May 20 21:28:53 UTC 2019

I wanted to take a look at the code John McI recently announced that built on my MQTT client. It's on a github server, in that not-very-comprehendable format.

I had noticed the 'Git Browser' entry in the Tools menu so I thought that might help with viewing the code. Well... it took around ten minutes to install, added around 2Mb to my change log, added what looks like 50+ categories to the browser category list and has no readily findable doc.

Oh and a trivial point/bug, the progress bar kept leaping around from screen centre to centred on the mouse pointer - a small but very visually irritating point.

Once loaded and a Git Browser opened I was all at sea. As mentioned, no readily apparent doc, and the vast list of added categories didn't exactly help in trying to find a relevant seeming class to look at any class comments. Some googling found the 2018 HPI paper on the system which at least has some small explanation of the UI, but nothing to help me start using it.

I eventually found the 'clone project' menu entry and recalled from my *extremely* tiny familiarity that this might well be important. I pasted the URL from the github page 'Clone or download' widget in and thing whirred and clanked a bit. My problem now is that I still see nothing that appears to have any connection to actual visible code.

This is what I see -

Where might I find useful information on what to do next? Is this even supposed to work?

It may well be broken since the related 'Metacello' Tools menu entry fails in Installer class>ensureRecentMetacello since there is a logic bug that leaves the temp 'metacello' nil if Metacello is already installed.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PHP: Put Hackers into Privileged mode