[squeak-dev] Running Squeak fro ma unix shell script file with #! squeak...

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon May 20 22:27:35 UTC 2019

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 05:54:58PM -0400, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> I haven???t tried it as a script yet. I have Ubuntu 16.04. But how did
> you install Squeak 5.2? Ian used to have a friendly Install script with
> each Linux release. I don???t think I???ve seen that for a long time.
> So for me to try what you???re doing I???d need to wrestle long paths,
> because the vm is on the Desktop and such. How did you install Squeak5.2
> so it???s in /usr/bin/squeak?

I use a naming convention for the conflicting start script names. The
64-bit Spur VM is /usr/local/bin/spur64, 32-bit Spur is /usr/local/bin/spur,
32-bit Cog is /usr/local/bin/cog. I install the interpreter VM without
renaming it, so it is /usr/local/bin/squeak. I then add a /usr/local/bin/run
script that selects a VM based on image format.

This is totally unofficial and recommended by nobody but me, but that's
what I do.

Dave