[squeak-dev] Attempting to use git Browser to view https://github.com/LabWare/MQTT-broker

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Sun May 26 15:08:27 UTC 2019

Hi, I tried it myself today.

The additional problem with this repository is that it does not have a
subfolder for the package it provides. The .st files including package.st
are at the root folder instead.

There are multiple issues:
- The Git Browser/Squot (on its develop branch, not yet the version
obtained via the menus) does detect the Tonel package at root, but because
of implementation details it is hidden by the unrecorded files entry you
see in the object list.
- The TonelRepository for Squeak does not check whether the directory
entries it looks at are files or directories. That's why the .st files
appear as packages without versions in the Monticello repository browser.
- The TonelRepository for Squeak does not filter the directories to list
only those containing a package in Tonel format. For example, the Documents
directory of that repository has a pseudo-MCVersion, but its snapshot is
empty, of course. If I add the parent directory of my clone as a tonel://
repository, I get "packages" for every file and folder, and all the folders
have an empty version, except the ones that actually contain a Tonel
package, such as the MQTT-broker clone.

So the Git Browser users must wait for a fix (or try to fix it themselves).
The Tonel port users must add the parent directory of the clone in such a
case.

Kind regards,
Jakob