[squeak-dev] Attempting to use git Browser to view https://github.com/LabWare/MQTT-broker

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Wed May 29 14:45:57 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 5:58 AM David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 04:44:02PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> > John sent me a proper fileout last week. Once I've had time to look it
> over I'll probably stick it on squeaksource.
> >
> > tim
>
> Yes, please do that. Especially if the fileout has proper method commit
> timestamps and author initials.
>
> I am quite interested in getting myself up to speed on the various
> git integration strategies, and I am currently working with (or more
> accurately, accepting guidance from) Alistair Grant to publish OSProcess
> in Tonel format for Pharo users. But I am baffled by the lack of method
> stamps in Tonel (which should be trivially simple to support) and I
> suspect to that "proper fileoout" will need to remain as the accepted
> interchange format for quite some time to come.

I said it before and I say it again: Tonel was flawed from the very start
and
nobody listened what Dale had to said. Instead, the Pharo community
declared it as their new default, and here we are. It's not Jakob's job to
port Tonel to Squeak, yet he worked on it in his spare time. If you don't
like
what it does to your timestamps and author initials, please complain to the
designers of Tonel. And no, they are probably not subscribed to this
mailinglist.

> Interestingly, Cuis uses git exclusively for version control, but its
> storage format is nothing more than simple change sets and fileouts that
> follow an agreed naming convention. And there are other storage formats
> in circulation, so I don't really have any sense of what is the "right"
> approach. But a storage format that nukes all of the method stamps
> certainly would not be on my short list of right ways to do it.

Fileouts cause a lot of merge conflicts in Git (even if there are none in
the
actual code). This makes it rather cumbersome to use it in Git. Maybe the
Cuis community has fixed some of these issues?

> It's all very confusing. I just googled "squot hpi squeak" and got a
> "People also ask" pointer to "Why does my replacement hip squeak?"

Mh, that's nothing we can control... you were probably looking for:
https://github.com/hpi-swa/Squot

Cheers,
Fabio