[squeak-dev] Attempting to use git Browser to view https://github.com/LabWare/MQTT-broker

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Wed May 29 17:53:27 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 29, 2019, 10:46 AM Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 5:58 AM David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Interestingly, Cuis uses git exclusively for version control, but its
>> storage format is nothing more than simple change sets and fileouts that
>> follow an agreed naming convention. And there are other storage formats
>> in circulation, so I don't really have any sense of what is the "right"
>> approach. But a storage format that nukes all of the method stamps
>> certainly would not be on my short list of right ways to do it.
>>

> Fileouts cause a lot of merge conflicts in Git (even if there are none in
> the
> actual code). This makes it rather cumbersome to use it in Git. Maybe the
> Cuis community has fixed some of these issues?

The main things I recall Cuis doing were switching from CR to LF for it's
fileout line termination and 'lightly' ordering
classes(?)/categories/methods.  While it's not too difficult to get merge
conflicts, it's also not too difficult to work around them.  Better (i.e.
more global) ordering on fileout would probably all but eliminate the false
positive conflicts.  Though obviously that issue alone hasn't caused anyone
enough pain to make fixing it a priority (but now that I think about it,
improved diff-ability might make it worth it.)