[squeak-dev] Updating 'Squeak by Example'

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 07:38:27 UTC 2019

On 09/11/19 1:08 AM, Thiede, Christoph wrote:

> we (that means, mainly Patrick) are currently working on updating
> all contents and screenshots of the book to match the latest Squeak
> version. By the way, we are taking this opportunity to codify each
> screenshots with a short script in the tex source, so they will not
> deprecate so fast again (until someone reworks the whole UI) :D

Chris,

Have you looked at HelpTopic? It would be nice to document Squeak in
HelpTopic first and then export it to other formats like LaTeX to
produce a book. Something like Quick Guides [1] of Etoys.

It is easier to keep such topics in sync with releases while a book
tends to fall behind over the years and has to be refreshed. Also, code
snippets can be run from the topic itself without having to copy-paste
into a Workspace.

[1] http://www.squeakland.org/tutorials/guides/

Regards .. Subbu