[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-kfr.1072.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Nov 21 06:57:17 UTC 2019

Hi, Tim.

> Oh, and it looks like we messed up something in text rendering;  select some text, cmd-k to change the font and set the choice to be quite a bit larger than the main font. If the original is a single line then the bounding box (?) doesn't get changed and thing look really weird. Multi-line texts may or may not get mangled in a similar way according to a pattern I can't discern yet. Like this -

Seems like there is some paragraph invalidation missing.

Best,
Marcel

On 2019-11-20, at 7:54 PM, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com [mailto:ma.chris.m at gmail.com]> wrote:
Verdana.  That's the font I remember liking in Eclipse and Squeak back when it could be selected.  Is it working again?  I know nothing about the formats and technologies and licensing.
Deja Vu is considered a good alternative by font aficionados, apparently, and we have that one in the image. There are actually quite  lot of good outline fonts available (fonts.google.com [http://fonts.google.com] is one source) that we could reasonably employ. I think one job that would be useful to complete is building some decent text styles and improving how we use them.

Just as one illustration, in a working image with a dozen or so windows open I have 180 instances of 'a TextStyle Bitmap DejaVu Sans 9' out of a total of 237 TextStyle objects. That probably isn't indicative of a well thought out usage pattern of an object one might (perhaps naively) think to be pretty much read-only.

Oh, and it looks like we messed up something in text rendering;  select some text, cmd-k to change the font and set the choice to be quite a bit larger than the main font. If the original is a single line then the bounding box (?) doesn't get changed and thing look really weird. Multi-line texts may or may not get mangled in a similar way according to a pattern I can't discern yet. Like this -

Note that the cut-off at the bottom of the text is not from me cropping the image but the renderer screwing up

tim
--
tim Rowledge; tim at rowledge.org [mailto:tim at rowledge.org]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim [http://www.rowledge.org/tim]
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.